inflatable crest gate project
The project consisted of the replacement of traditional wooden flashboards with a mechanical gate system along the crest of an existing 1,093’ long, 15’ high historic dam on the Merrimack River in Lowell, Massachusetts, United States.
Chant Power Inc. was contracted as the Construction and Quality Manager by Enel Green Power North America.
The scope of work included:
• Construction management services for (EGPNA)
• Health and safety coordination and reporting
• Quality control/assurance
• Production tracking and construction scheduling
• Daily, weekly and monthly progress reports
- The wooden flashboards were replaced by a mechanical crest gate system with pneumatic air bladders lifting 20′ hinged steel panel sections in four independently-controllable zones to variably controlling the dam’s water level upstream.
- The crest of the existing structure required the placement of a concrete cap on top of the sloping granite capstones on the upstream face of the dam to provide a smooth and level surface for mounting and anchoring the crest gate system.
- A cofferdam was required for the entire 1,093’ length of the dam, constructed in five independent zones over three construction seasons.