Replacement Dam Project
The project involved the replacement of an existing earth fill dam on the headwaters of the Michipicoten River near Wawa, Ontario. The original structure had been constructed across a deep fluvial valley without a positive cutoff and was experiencing piping, abnormal piezometric activity and slope deformation.
Options analysis indicated replacement with a positive cutoff foundation was the optimum solution.
- Chant was owner’s representative on this $101 million target cost project.
- We provided FEL services including setting of the target cost and supporting the client in the negotiation with the contractor of a target cost.
- The project team included Chant, the owner’s design engineer and a construction contractor – we had overall management responsibilities within the team structure.
- Chant certified contractor progress draws, oversaw change management process and reported to the client on schedule, cost and quality related progress.
- Placement of 1 million m3 of zoned embankment and construction of 20,000 m2 plastic concrete cut-off wall with both foundation curtain and wall/bedrock contact grouting at depths up to 80 m.
- Existing dam decommissioned four months ahead of schedule and under budget.