The project involved the redevelopment of an existing hydropower site on the Michipicoten River near Wawa, Ontario. The work included a new power canal, intake structure, penstocks, powerhouse, installation of twin 22.5 MW Kaplan turbine/generators and a tailrace channel. Decommissioning of the existing facility was also required.
Chant had the role of owner’s representative on this $80 million design-build undertaking. We:
- Oversaw the review by others of contractor design submittals and provided our own input into civil, hydromechanical, mechanical and electrical disciplines.
- Our review scope included controls and control system/reporting logic.
- Detailed reviews and comments/follow-up with respect to means, methods sequencing plans of the contractor.
- Provided continuous site oversight,presence and coordination services.
- While not the Prime Contractor, Chant had overall responsibility to the client for ensuring the approved safety plan for the work was implemented by all entities without exception.
- We were responsible for quality tracking/reporting and facilitating the timely resolution of non-conformances, cost (quantities of work) and schedule tracking, change management and stakeholder relations.
- The project completed on time and within budget.