Box Canyon Hydroelectric Project
Located on Howe Sound about 45 km north of Vancouver, British Columbia. This run-of-river project, only accessible by water, includes three high elevation water intake diversions, collection of a number of small tributaries and over 9 km of HDPE and steel penstock. The new powerhouse consists of a single Pelton impulse style turbine/generator with a rated capacity of 15 MW. The project was being delivered under an Alliance contracting model and the total value of the installed works was approximately $65 million.
Prior to the start of construction in May 2014, the Project went through a multi-year front end design and development (FEED) phase which Chant was also involved with throughout. Chant’s FEED scope of work included constructability review of preliminary design concepts, merging of cost and scheduling expertise to provide delivery solution scenarios, permitting support, quantity control and the development of at first parametric and later detailed cost estimates as the Project developed over time.
Chant’s scope of work included:
- Planning support and oversight
- Establishing the WBS and CBS
- Scheduling review and maintenance
- Providing productivity and cost tracking/reporting/forecasting using contractor supplied transaction listings (Chant formalized the cost/schedule review protocols for the Project)
- Change management (tracking and rationalization of triggering events)
- Negotiating with the contractor the eligibility of certain costs as reimbursable (primary construction equipment related)
- Setting up and managing the Project’s Quality Assurance Program
- Providing field inspections and certain quality control services to the Contractor
- Coordination of site activities with other contractors (except forestry) and advising the Alliance Board on resolution scenarios for disputes
- Chant authored virtually all site generated reports, including daily and monthly summary reports for Alliance with respect to quality assurance and quality control, financial and schedule performance, daily and monthly reporting narratives.
LOCATION / BC, Canada CLIENT / Elemental Energy STATUS / Completed YEAR / 2016 PROJECT VALUE / $80 Million